A Great Article Courtesy of Fill-Your-Pants.Com
Many parents are still unaware of the vast array of options out there when it comes to modern reusable nappies, and that the
stereotyped terry cloths with pins, being soaked and boiled is really a thing of the past! Instead, the modern world of cloth is alive and vibrant
and the information, support and choice now available is outstanding. Here are our 10 Top Tips when it comes to starting out on that journey of
1) Check out your local council for any real nappy incentives they might offer- some will offer cashback or vouchers, and others offer nappy trial schemes which may prove useful. Council authorities are usually very keen to promote real nappies, as they spent a fortune every year sending disposables to landfills. If your local council doesn’t offer any incentives at present, why got get in touch with them and give them a
2) Take a minute to sit and think about your requirements-
- do you need something quick drying?
- Do you want a nappy which will grow with you baby, or a sized version?
- Are natural fibres important to you?
These sorts of questions will help to narrow down your choices, and will help you to ensure that your nappy of choice will work out for you.
3) Do some research, and avoid the cheap highstreet brands. Many will end up simply sitting up in your loft because they didn’t do the job properly, leaving you either very disillusioned with cloth, or having to re-invest in a new stash that will work for you.
4) Seek the advise of a local nappy advisor, who may run demonstration mornings or do home visits. You can also do the search on the Go Real Nappy Campaign site for advisors in your region. If there none in your area, most online nappy stores will be more than happy to advise you via email or phone.
5) Ask any questions you may have on parenting forums- many will have a natural parenting or even a cloth nappy section with plenty of mums happy to share their experiences and findings!
6) Consider a Nappy Trial Pack- this will give you the opportunity to test a few different types and see which you prefer before investing in a complete set
7) Read Real Nappy Reviews- impartial reviews from people who have used the different types of nappy will prove invaluable in deciding which ones are for you
8 ) Think about using washable wipes too- if you are already using cloth nappies then cotton wipes are no extra hassle at all. Simply use, wash and re-use! The Cheeky Wipes kits really help to make this a breeze.
9) Remember that its never too late to start using cloth- so if you need some time at first to just get used to being a mummy, take
it and turn to cloth only when you are ready
10) Have fun with it- cloth nappies are not only functional, easy to use, better for your baby, the planet and your wallet
but they are darn cute too!
Be a proud cloth-mummy!